Wednesday, February 17, 2010

And we're off...

Well.

First of all, for the three of you that know about the blog I started a year ago...I haven't the slightest idea what email address or password I used to set it up so, as a result, I can't update it or delete it! If any of you know how I can take care of that, please feel free to comment.

Secondly, I have been told I have an unhealthy love of the run-on sentence and that I write like the apostle Paul. To that I say, punctuation is way overrated and thank you for the compliment! If improper use of periods and commas bother you, feel free to take a Sharpie to your screen:)

With all that out of the way, let's get to the current round of character building the Lord has thrown at me and my family...

Right after Thanksgiving 2009, Stu and I found out we were pregnant again, eight months after our beautiful daughter, Emma Jewel, was born. We wanted to have two children close in age so we were very excited. Long story short, after several sonograms very early in the pregnancy it was determined that I had a partial molar pregnancy. The chances of this happening are 1 in every 1000 pregnancies, it’s pretty rare. Treatment at that point was a D&C and weekly blood tests to make sure a certain hormone level made its way back down to zero. At the time of diagnosis, we were told that there was a 2 to 3% chance that instead of falling, the levels would start to rise again and that the cells that caused the levels to rise would be cancerous. Last week, my levels started to rise again. I was referred to an oncologist in Shreveport and have seen him twice. Today I went in for a CT scan, partially to make sure the cancerous cells haven’t spread to other parts of my body and partially to have a baseline to compare future scans to and tomorrow, I’ll start my first round of chemotherapy.

Everything I’ve read on gestational trophoblastic neoplasia (that’s the official diagnosis), says it is almost 100% curable. It’s just a long journey. I’ll go to Shreveport weekly for blood work and every other week for chemo treatments. The oncologist says that it typically takes 5 or 6 rounds to knock this out, so about 3 months. After my levels get to 0, I’ll continue weekly blood tests for a couple of weeks, then surveillance blood tests monthly for a year.

The odds of all this happening are astronomical. Obviously, the Lord has chosen Stu and I to go through this for a purpose. To be totally honest, my emotional and mental state since we found out we had lost another baby (our first pregnancy in February 2008 ended at 10 weeks in a miscarriage), was already pretty touch and go at times and this just adds another couple of levels to the roller coaster. We’re fine for the most part and know God is sovereign.

I know there are many people that want to keep track of us as we go through this journey. I figured I could wear a big sign with the latest updates around my neck so I didn't have to repeat myself a thousand times, but my friends in Eustace and family in various parts of the country wouldn't be able to read it, so a blog it is:) I promise to try to keep this thing currently updated...here's to hoping:)

Thanks in advance for your support through this time and for your prayers for me, Stu and Emma. Our God is a big God. He’s still on His throne.

12 comments:

  1. I went snoopin' around for "Loving Every Minute" dot blogspot dot com just the other day. No luck. This will be an exciting fresh start. Hang in there. The Johnsons are praying for your courage. You are well loved in this home:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...God is sovereign and He loves you, Stu and Emma sooooo much. We will continue to pray for you and look forward to what God has in store for you.

    Love you much,
    Donnis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren,
    This is Kelly, Ben Daily's most definite better half. Ben forwarded your blog link to me, and I hope it's okay if I bookmark and read. Wanted to check with you first. I didn't want to appear to be a weird stalker person in case you have a blog monitor. (I am weird, but I promise I'm not a stalker.) So sorry to hear about your troubles, but your Physician is better than any doctor!
    Kelly Daily
    kdaily@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sweet Lauren! This is such a great idea because the two of you are blessed to have so many people who care for you and your journey. I can't promise to be coherant during this 2am party Lily and I are having...ugh!But, again want you to know that you and Stu are in our thoughts and prayers today. Dave and I love you two more than you could know. I know God will reveal His glory through this whole process, because He has already blessed you two so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - God hasn't let me stop thinking about you since I found out you'd be going through chemo. Please let me know if I can do anything and you and Stu, and of course, that precious baby.
    I've learned to view the things that happen in my life - especially the negative things - as God's "training" in and for my life. So, take comfort in the fact that God must have something INCREDIBLE in store for your life because this is some intense training!
    Love you and praying praying praying. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cari: I couldn't even remember the name of the crazy blog!!! Seems ironic now:)

    Kelly: I'm not scared of you and you're more than welcome to cyber-stalk:)

    Jeannie, Donnis & Kristin: Thanks and keep the prayers coming!! I think it's all finally hitting and the emotional trainwreck is starting. Pretty excited about that:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wish I could take it all away from you guys, but there's a reason for all of this madness. Be strong and take courage baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lauren...
    I know we never talk anymore, but like Kristin you have really been on my mind since I read your post about chemo. Chris and I are both praying for you and the fam. The blog was a great idea, cause so many of us care but hate to ask!! Anywhoosie, just thought you might want to know that even your VERY OLD(haha) friends are following your journey and sending prayers of healing, both emotional and physical your way!! Love you!! Jessica and Chris Miller

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauren....thank you for opening your heart to reach out to others for support and mainly prayers! I'm so thankful you are blogging all this info so we know excatly how to pray for you. We love you so much and know that God has you in the palm of His hand! May you all feel His prescience like never before!
    Please call me if I can do anything! I can set with Emma, clean house, cook or just pray!
    Love you sweet girl!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren, I know that God is teaching SO many people things through you everyday. You are an AMAZING person! We love you and are praying for you daily.
    ~Mandy Holland

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey my sweet friend. For some reason God has chosen you "for such a time as this". Who knows how He will use this. Stay strong, rely on Him every moment, because He IS enough. Love you 3!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lauren, thank you for blogging to share your thoughts and needs with us. We love you and your family and want to keep up with how you and your sweet family are doing during this journey. Blogging is an excellent way to keep us updated so we don't bug you with the same questions over and over. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete