Thursday, February 18, 2010

FAQ...

1. "Will you be able to have kids after going through this treatment?"

In all likelyhood, yes. From everything I've read and what the doctors have said, I should be able to have another baby. It'll be about a year and a half before they clear us to be able to try. I have to go through the treatment then be monitored for a year after my levels get down to zero.

2. "Will the chemo make you lose your hair?"

They're telling me that I shouldn't go bald, but that my hair will thin. For those of you that have had a baby, it should be similiar to the "post-baby shedding":) Gross!

3. "Are you scared to death?"

This is the question the guy that will be mixing my chemo treatments asked me yesterday. He not only asked me once, but I think it was about 3 times!! "Ummmm...what do you think, buddy?!? And do you like making me cry?!?!?" From everything I've read/been told, this specific cancer is 100% curable, as long as it's caught early and treated thoroughly. I have the best doctor IN THE WORLD...for those of you in the Marshall area, Dr. Ricky Paul is the way to go!! He's been on top of everything from the start and he caught this before it got too out of hand. Dr. Owers, the oncologist, and the team at Schumpert are great, also, so we really do feel we're in good hands.

4. "What are the odds this will happen again?"

First, let me just say, I'm a little bitter about "the odds." Are you kidding me??? 1 in 1000 pregnancies are molar and 2 to 3% of those turn cancerous?!?!?! REALLY!?!?!?!?!? Dr. Paul actually told me I should buy a lottery ticket:) Who knew ob-gyn's had a sense of humor??? The odds of me having another one are higher than a normal person, but still relatively small...I'll show them:):):) Ugh!

5. "Are you about to lose your ever-loving mind?"

Most definitely yes:) But the state of my sanity has been questionable since birth:) I'm trying to take it minute-by-minute and in small bite-sized pieces. It's too much to think about all at once. I know that there are so many people dealing with so much more. I'm trying to keep perspective during all this. But I'm not going to lie, this is pretty crappy!!! (Please reread the posted disclaimer:)

6. "What can I do to help?"

Whatever you want and feel led to:) Prayers are the most important thing right now. I have no doubt the reason we've been able to keep a mostly level head about all this is because of the massive amount of prayer support we are receiving. And as far as anything else, that's between you and the Lord...I'm not one to rob anyone of a blessing:)

7. "What should I do if I see Stu running through the streets like a madman pulling his hair out?"

Assume that I have finally driven him crazy, gently guide him back to the house and lock him in the padded room we are currently setting up:) I mean, really: Lost pregnancy that turns molar that turns to cancer, his kidney stones, $1300 on a new heater after 1 week of no heat in the house IN JANUARY, chemo, Emma waking up with a fever this morning...ALL IN LESS THAN 2 MONTHS?!?!?!?!??! All I can say is wow.


Pray for us at 2 PM today, round one begins.


Oh, and happy birthday, Shan:) May you have a fabulous and morning-noon-night-sickness-free day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment