Thursday, February 18, 2010

Round One...Check.

Are you impressed with my level of committment?? 3 posts in less than 24 hours is pretty impressive, if I do say so myself:)

Round One went pretty good. I've still got anti-nausea and steriods in my system so we'll see how everything feels after those wear off.

As always, the IV was traumatic. Apparently, I have the smallest and most mobile veins known to man. I went through my prepared speech to let the nurse know that no one ever hits one on the first try for an IV. She gave me her prepared speech to let me know not to worry, they do this everyday and they're great at it. Then, she promptly dug around in my arm until I almost passed out and sheepishly said, "I missed." She proceeded to get the other nurse on duty that has NICU experience, and she hit it on the first try:) She is my new best friend. And I might just have baby veins. Lee and Carolyn Curry just happened to be at the hospital at the same time and got to witness the whole process. With all that they've been through I bet they think I'm a wimp!!! After the IV was in, the rest was just the weirdness of feeling the meds and chemo go through my hand into the rest of my body. I'm not real fond of that feeling.

On the way home, Dr. Owers called and said because my veins are so small and fragile he wants to put a port in my arm under my skin so we don't have to do the IV every time. Now that everyone knows I've been telling the truth about my IV difficulties, they're concerned that if the IV doesn't get in the vein just right or if it blows because it's so fragile, bad things could happen. Fun fact to know and tell...if this chemo gets out of my vein and on to the skin or tissue, it'll make it rot. Fabulous. Needless to say, I'm getting the port scheduled for next Thursday when I have to go back to get my weekly blood work done.

That's all I've got to update for now.

Specific prayer requests for this weekend:

1. Emma's got a fever. We started her on amoxicillan this afternoon and she's been on Tylenol all day. I'm not supposed to be around sick people so I can't take care of her. IT IS SO HARD not to be able to hold your baby girl when she's sick. Pray for her to get well and me to try to be careful.

2. Stu has to be Mr. Mom for the next several...who knows how long. Pray for wisdom, endurance, patience and strength. God blessed me more than I will ever deserve with this man. My parents will be here most of the weekend so that'll be a big help, too. And thank you, Helen for coming and watching Emma for us the last 2 days!!

3. Pray that as these meds wear off, I won't feel terrible and/or nauseated.

Thank you so much for the emails, Facebook messages and blog comments of encouragement you guys keep sending. It's tough to respond to all of them, just know that I'm reading them and that I love you for taking the time to let me know you're thinking about and praying for us. It's humbling to know how much you guys care about us. You are appreciated and loved more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment